Friday, July 9, 2010

Honoring Encouragers

A couple of weeks ago I attended a 94th birthday celebration for Dr. Virgil Olson. While there I reflected on the way God caused our paths to cross. When I was in college and considering professional ministry, I attended a Bethel sponsored "Conference on the Ministry." This took place in the Viet Nam War days where students were protesting the war and questioning our government and authorities in general. It was not unusual for an older generation to reject the idealism of youth and criticize it.

The speaker at this conference was Dr. Virgil Olson. He was unknown to me. But what he said made a lasting impact upon me. His text was "let no one despise your youth." It was a refreshing word. While others were degrading the youth, he was affirming them. He used the example of Martin Luther and drew the analogy to our day, using the illustration of his youthfulness and his significance for Kingdom ministry. My first encounter with Dr. Olson went a long way to seal my choice of Bethel as a palce of training.

I owe a lot to Dr. Olson and the way our paths have crossed. I am appreciative to how God has placed him in my life. Encouragers are important for our lives. How about you? Do you have encouragers for whom you can give thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment